First Steps Women’s Centre – Member in Focus #35
Interview with Bernie Mallon from First Steps Women’s Centre
Tell us a bit about yourself and/or your organisation.
- IT – Learn to use Zoom, Computerised Bookkeeping, Computerised Payroll and Smartphone
- Life Skills – Essential Skills Literacy (English) & Numeracy (Maths), and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages). Wellbeing Online
- Programmes – Tone at Home, Holistic Therapy Tasters, How to Bounce Back (Building Resilience), Yoga , Pilates, Hormone Harmony, Dancing Your Way To Health & Happiness and Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT/Tapping) Workshops. Our pass rates are fantastic – between 75% & 100%!
How well have you/your organisation adapted to the pandemic?
- Temperature taking and hand sanitisers at Reception
- Social distancing in all classes and during Staff tea/lunch breaks
- Cleaning of equipment, desks, chairs, toilets between classes
- Maximum of 3 people allowed in the toilets at any one time.
- During lockdown we moved all our classes online via zoom
As a result of the pandemic, a lot of people have lost their jobs and need benefits advice and direction on how to access their entitlement. For those students and some people in our community, English is their second language so there will be a greater need for interpreters, counsellors (for both adults and children), Women’s Aid support and Training courses (for both men and women).
OFFER: What support are you currently offering and are you open to members of Community Network NI and/or the wider community making contact?
We are currently offering online courses in IT, ESOL, Essential Skills Literacy, Wellbeing courses such as Pilates, Yoga, Tone at Home, Hormone Harmony. Transport for our students in our brand new 13 seater mini-bus, we offer 16 places in our Childcare where 4 of our 6 Staff are bi-lingual. We can provide a Benefit Check Service to men and women (you don’t have to be a student to avail of this service), First Steps Women’s Centre offer a safe and friendly learning environment, an opportunity to make new friends, learn a new skill/language, rooms available to hire for other service providers, collaboration with other women’s centres & organisations. We continue or have previously worked with Surestart, STEP, Dungannon Enterprise Centre & South West College.
If you would like to be connected with this offer of support, please follow the link below and enter “First Steps Women’s Centre” to the first field.
Share This Post
Subscribe to our mailing list
Get updates directly to your inbox
More To Explore
What’s New? Wednesday 21 Apr 2021… This week we cover Counselling, TNL Changemakers, Extern factsheets and our New Team Member…
Community Events – Fri 16 Apr 2021 – Upcoming events include Stress Management, Training for Young Mums, Mental Health Support and more…